News from the Vancouver Airport Chapel - Late Summer / Early Fall 2021
The YVR Chapel is now open 7 days a week, 8am-8pm, and God is daily leading us to passengers to assist and employees to listen to, support, encourage and pray for. We have seen a gradual increase of flights and passengers over the summer, and that will likely increase in the Fall.
YVR is happy to announce that they have received the Skytrax Award for Best Customer Service in North America for a record 12th year in a row... wow! CONGRATULATIONS to the whole YVR Community for making this happen!
People Stories: (all this happened in a single day in July)
1. An immigrant mother from Colombia was at International Arrivals to greet her 10 year old son whom she had not seen for 7 long years. She was jumping with excitement with flags waving as she waited for him to appear (after his Covid swab, of course). When he finally emerged, she wrapped him in a huge bear-hug and many tears were shed by her whole family that was present. Happy Days were here at last!! Thank God for joyful moments!
2. A young female employee (R.) whom I know fairly well shared that she'd been having nightmares about world problems, which raised spiritual and faith questions in her mind and heart. She says she is sincerely searching for God, but has not found answers in her faith background. So I shared my own pilgrimage and some helpful literature, and I ask you to pray for her and many other workers at YVR who are looking for long-term solutions to their personal needs and help in coping with worldwide issues of our day. Thank you.
3. A male employee (M.) from Ethiopia has asked me many times if I know of anyone or any group that could sponsor his brother to come to Canada. His brother was under duress and escaped to Uganda, and has made application to the Canadian Embassy, but is in 'holding' until a $6K pledge is made, even though M. has promised authorities here that he's quite willing to fully support his brother. Please pray for this situation and let me know if you have any suggestions of a sponsor for this brother (he is single, I believe). Thanks again!
4. Another employee from Ethiopia (a friend, Y.) is a mother to 3 children, of whom the oldest has been in hospital twice this summer and was diagnosed with psychosis. He had dropped out of trade school and was smoking marijuana regularly at home alone. Y. was very worried and asked God to allow us to pray for him that very day, which light work for her made possible, praise God. She was comforted and we continued to pray over the summer. Update: thankfully, her son has made a strong rebound, is signed up for fall classes at a local college and is playing basketball regularly now with friends. God heard her heart and our prayers and is so good!
1. For safety at the Airport for all passengers and employees, and for God's wisdom and discernment for governments, YVR Airport Authority and the airlines to know when and how to further expand services.
2. For our team of chaplains to keenly hear the prayer needs of current YVR passengers and employees, and to offer caring support for each of them and their families.
3. For continued prayers for Chaplain Emeritus Layne Daggett, and prayer for our Board leaders to know when and how to involve our Volunteers in the Chapel's service again.
With great hope,
Dennis, for the Chapel Team